Tis the season for BBQ and some tasty sides. I always try to shake things up a bit and find some atypical side options to keep things interesting.
Yesterday we had some friends over to celebrate the beginning of summer and my husband and I decided to make pulled pork BBQ sandwiches. In keeping with the atypical- I decided to hunt down something new to go with them. So I found a recipe for baked corn pudding. With a few minor adjustments I was able to make the pudding gluten-free. Here's what I came up with.
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick of unsalted butter) plus more for greasing the baking dish
1 med yellow onion, diced
kosher salt and black pepper
2 cups of heavy cream
5 large eggs
1/4 cup of corn flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
16 ounces of frozen corn, thawed (about 3 cups)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Butter an 8 inch square or another shallow 2-quart baking dish.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
4. Add the onion and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. In a blender, combine the cream, eggs, corn flour, sugar, 2 cups of the corn, the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, 1 tsp of salt, and 1/4 tsp of pepper; blend until smooth.
6. Add the onion and the remaining cup of corn and pulse once, just to combine.
7. Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish and bake until set, but still a little jiggly in the center, 50-60 minutes.