With Valentine’s Day comes beautiful red roses, dimly lit candles, romantic dinners & red wine, but how about breakfast in bed? bistroMD’s delectable recipe for Mixed Berry Crepes is an impressive brunch option that’s perfect for surprising your hunny in bed. Filled with fresh ricotta cheese and topped juicy berries, crepes are the definition of a “healthy treat!”
bistroMD’s Mixed Berry Crepes
- 2 cups of milk
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour blend (Cup for Cup or another substitute flour.)
· ½ tsp salt
· ½ tsp olive oil
· ½ tsp orange zest
· 1 ½ pint of strawberries
· 1 ½ pint of blueberries
· 1 ½ pint of raspberries
· 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
· 3 ½ tbsp granulated sugar
· 1 ½ cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1. In a blender, combine the milk, eggs, flour, salt, oil and zest. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for a half hour.
2. In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemon juice and 2 Tablespoons of the granulated sugar, or to taste. In another bowl, combine the ricotta and the remaining 1 and a 1/2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar. Set aside.
3. In a crepe pan over medium heat, melt 1 teaspoons of the butter to coat the pan evenly. Pour in 1/4 cup of the batter and spread with a spatula. Cook until the crepe is golden underneath, for 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the crepe over and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Repeat the process to make 8 crepes4. Cover half of each crepe with the ricotta mixture and 1/4 cup of the berry mixture and roll into a tube. Place 2 crepes on each individual plate. Top 1/2 cup of berries and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.