Pinch of salt (We added a bit more)
A box of gluten free elbow macaroni
1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
3 cups of heavy whipping cream
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of paprika
1 cup of gluten free cracker crumbs for topping the casserole
1 Tbsp melted butter for top of casserole (optional)
1. Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling water along with a pinch of salt.
2. Drain the macaroni in a colander and toss with either olive oil or butter. Set aside.
3. If you are baking the macaroni and cheese, preheat the oven to 400.
4. Add the cream to the pot where you cooked the macaroni. Let the cream come to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Let the cream cook until it has reduced to half its volume. This should take about 15-20 minutes. Stir the entire time.
5. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheddar, Parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
6. When the cheeses have melted completely, stir the cooked macaroni into the sauce. You can serve it this way topped with the paprika. Otherwise, to bake it (we did it this way)- transfer the mixture to a 2 quart baking dish. Toss the cracker crumbs with the melted butter and scatter them across the top. Sprinkle with paprika.
7. Bake until the mac and cheese is bubbling and the crumbs have browned. 8-10 minutes.