2 lbs. ground beef or ground turkey
1 chopped onion
1 crushed or minced garlic clove
2 Tbsp of chili powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
3 cups tomato puree or tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of sugar
12 corn tortillas
Vegetable or Canola oil
2 cups cottage cheese
8 oz. shredded Monterey Jack
4 oz. shredded Cheddar Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Brown the meat in a skillet and drain.
3. Add the garlic and onion to the meat and cook until the onion is soft.
4. Add the spices and then stir in the tomato sauce, salt and sugar.
5. Stir and leave to simmer for fifteen minutes.
6. Soften the tortillas in a small amount of oil and drain on paper towels.
7. Mix the cottage cheese and the egg together in a separate bowl.
8. Layer the casserole beginning with 1/3 of the meat mixture, then 1/2 of the shredded Monterey jack cheese, 1/2 the cottage cheese mixture, and 1/2 the tortillas. Repeat the layers.
9. After all layers are complete sprinkle the cheddar cheese on the top.
10. Bake for 30 minutes.