Please visit my sponsors:
I had the pleasure of attending a gluten-free food and beer pairing at Wildfire restaurant in McLean last week. It was a satisfying and delicious evening. Click here to read all about it:
With Valentine’s Day comes beautiful red roses, dimly lit candles, romantic dinners & red wine, but how about breakfast in bed? bistroMD’s delectable recipe for Mixed Berry Crepes is an impressive brunch option that’s perfect for surprising your hunny in bed. Filled with fresh ricotta cheese and topped juicy berries, crepes are the definition of a “healthy treat!”
bistroMD’s Mixed Berry Crepes
- 2 cups of milk
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour blend (Cup for Cup or another substitute flour.)
· ½ tsp salt
· ½ tsp olive oil
· ½ tsp orange zest
· 1 ½ pint of strawberries
· 1 ½ pint of blueberries
· 1 ½ pint of raspberries
· 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
· 3 ½ tbsp granulated sugar
· 1 ½ cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1. In a blender, combine the milk, eggs, flour, salt, oil and zest. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for a half hour.
2. In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemon juice and 2 Tablespoons of the granulated sugar, or to taste. In another bowl, combine the ricotta and the remaining 1 and a 1/2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar. Set aside.
3. In a crepe pan over medium heat, melt 1 teaspoons of the butter to coat the pan evenly. Pour in 1/4 cup of the batter and spread with a spatula. Cook until the crepe is golden underneath, for 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the crepe over and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Repeat the process to make 8 crepes4. Cover half of each crepe with the ricotta mixture and 1/4 cup of the berry mixture and roll into a tube. Place 2 crepes on each individual plate. Top 1/2 cup of berries and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
Looking for a new tasty snack to satisfy that sweet tooth? Sun cups feel like a decadent splurge while actually being low in calories. They are gluten and nut free and come in a variety of delicious flavors.
Where else can you find a product that is GMO-free, soy lechithin-free and made without corn syrup? Yup folks, this is really an entirely natural product made with the power of roasted sunflower seed butter and chocolate.
So check Sun Cups out in Whole Foods or online. The caramel cups were my favorite, but truthfully even the milk or dark chocolate ones are difficult to pass up.
Willow Restaurant has become a great friend to the gluten-free population. They offer a variety of delicious gluten-free dishes including the decadent Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte to the left. For more information about my experience at Willow, check out my article: http://www.dcfud.com/2014/02/05/wheatless-at-willow/
I'm a stay at home mom and writer who has been living in the NOVA area for the past nine years. I love to shop and I love good food. I'm hoping that combo will pay off as I seek out the best gluten free food in the NOVA area. Enjoy!